Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

Brian Whatcott wrote:

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

>... In the case we are discussing an elastic collision is
>strictly impossible even in theory as the Newtonian analysis makes
>clear.

Hmmm.... how elastic does the substrate need to be in the
transverse direction of translation for John to admit the possibility that
an initial stretch of the substrate in the "forward" direction (and
compression in the opposite direction), can return
its stored energy to the rolling cylinder as the translation proceeds?

Perhaps visualizing a rubber membrane as the substrate might help
the intuition here?
Or am I missing some feature of the math model that must exclude
the high mu, no slip case from realisation?

You raise an interesting point, but I am still compelled by the
result of the careful Newtonian analysis which makes no assumptions
about the nature of the contact force other than that it always be
provided *at* the level of the floor. The resolution of this
(seeming) paradox is likely that, if one really had such a surface,
the dropped spinning object would *never* settle down to the "rolling
without slipping" condition. Instead, you'd have something like the
ideal bouncing "super ball" that *forever* bounces, trading intrinsic
angular momentum for orbital angular momentum and vice versa as it
lurches first one way and then the other.