Re: DVD back ups? OSX-free

At 17:54 -0400 10/22/02, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

As I read more about new Mac options I see a little
device called iPod MP3 Player. Its storage capacity
is 5 Gb ($300), 10 GB ($400) or 20 Gb (?), depending
on what is purchased. It is natural to ask the same
question. Can this portable device be used to store
documents and application programs?
Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwik, if all your interested in is a means of storing back-up data,
I suggest a high capacity Firewire hard drive. I just picked one up
for that purpose, 120 GB for under $250. I plan on using it for
digitizing some videos before transferring them to DVD, in addition,
since even with the contents of three computers copied to this drive,
I still have about 75 GB left over.

If you want portability, then get one of the pocket-sized drives.
They don't have quite the capacity of the one I got and they're more
expensive, but they are more portable (smaller, lighter). Since DVDs
only hold about 5 GB or less, I doubt that using them as backups will
be all that practical, unless you are backing up from what is a
pretty small hard drive in today's terms.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>