Re: More thoughts on Lazy

1. We don't have planetarium software. I'm looking for a free version.
2. I don't have the funding for a CCD/video imaging system.
3. As an undergraduate, I spent a great deal of time at the telescope because
a) I'm a moron.
b) I didn't know what I was doing.
c) I had to figure out where I needed to point the scope and when to do it.
d) I did public outreach in which I had to actually plan observing nights.

4. It's also another piece of equipment to lug. My students all disappear when I ask them to help me bring the stuff back to the lab.
I have to lug
8" SCT
It's tripod
The power source for it
the eyepiece/filters/barlows/diagonals
flashlights
all the cords
and usually a book or two
It takes forever to set up

If it was a permanent set up it would be one thing. The undergrad observatory I had a computer and planetarium software and we used it sometimes. But more often we used star charts because we needed to be able to figure out what the field was supposed to look like.

Also, the students just don't get to plan the night, they have to run it. They have to point out the constellations and tell me what to point the scope at.

I didn't think it was such a trial. This is supposed to be a lab class so I have to do something with them.

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429