Re: More thoughts on Lazy

"Here, my best students tend to be the ones with full time jobs and families to care
for. They are dedicated and rarely miss class. If they miss, they come to my office
as soon as they can and apologize and ask if I could help them with what they miss.
These students tend to have their priorities in order or have time management
skills."

Tina's anecdotal study confirms my belief (posted previously) that school should be
limited to those willing to "put out". I'd kick out of school at the 8th** grade all
those D's and F's For them the child labor laws would be relaxed (not for
"dangerous" jobs tho). After a few years many would then be ready for school, as are
Tina's working parents, et al.

** by then they're as socialized as they are going to be for the purposes of "good
order of society".

bc

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Okay
Some have suggested that it is good for students to use the web and t=
hat homework is not for work sake.

cut

I am perfectly happy if students came to me and told me what's up and=
I would do what I could to help. Most don't come.

Because astronomy is a field that has new and exciting discoveries fr=
equently, I thought (wrongly it turns out) that students would be exc=
ited to learn about the latest and greatest in the area we are studyi=
ng class. So I found all these articles (~1 page), copied them and p=
assed them out. The students were mad at me for giving them these ar=
ticles. Then they asked me if they had to actually read the articles=
. I responded "Now you do and it will be on the test." =20

Here, my best students tend to be the ones with full time jobs and fa=
milies to care for. They are dedicated and rarely miss class. If th=
ey miss, they come to my office as soon as they can and apologize and=
ask if I could help them with what they miss. These students tend t=
o have their priorities in order or have time management skills. I c=
an't go to the doctor whenever I want, I have to make sure that it do=
esn't interfere with my class schedule. =20

This is a transfer class to a 4 year. So I don't have students that =
are in the technical fields or the trades. =20

Most of the students here feel if they come to class, that should be =
enough to pass them. Heaven forbid they do any work

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429