Re: MentorNet

We hear that --

in today's U.S. workforce, women are just over 9% of the engineers and
approximately 30% of the scientists.

And Richard Hake wonders why

Perhaps Green's galaxy is not the same as ours. How else could he have
gotten the notion that women don't want to be in science, math, and
engineering? The Milky-Way-galaxy references in Mallow and Hake (2002)
suggest just the opposite.

Richard, wake up! Women likely are not more greatly represented because
they don't want to be!!! In my experience they are surely better equipped
-- They just seem to have better sense.

Doesn't it seem possibly a bit egocentric for male physicists to think that
women want to be or should want to be physicists rather than engage in a
path which is more beneficial to humanity. Do we really believe that a
Prize in physics the greatest achievement of a human?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen