Re: nuclear power, titles of topics:

A few comments from Boise:

Nuclear must certainly be reconsidered as an option if we take global
warming as a serious threat. One big advantage of Nuclear (and coal) is
high density energy production, as opposed to solar and wind. This is
important for certain regions--like east of the Mississippi! To be sure,
nuclear may only be a 100 year option, but then plants only have a 40-60
year life.

To understand the difficulty in going to something like wind, first we need
to recognize that to move away from the fossil fuels also means moving to an
more electrical infrastructure and useage since most of the alternative
energies make electricity--at least as the primary output. Now is we
imagine Wind providing say 20% of our _total_ energy within some short time
frame--say 25 years--and recognize that even in ideal locations the average
output of a wind generator runs under 30% of its peak output, then you need
3-4 MILLION wind generators of reasonably large size (50 m high tower with
50 m span). While the land can still be grazed or farmed you need something
like 150,000 square miles for the siting. The next problem is that the
generators probably have something like a 25 year lifetime so will need to
be replaced often. Finally, if you are really relying on getting the full
output of the system, you had better be able to store at least some of the
wind generated energy for the day when there is little wind over the region
(probably Nebraska and the Dakotas) where most of the generators would be
placed. This at least adds cost to the system (hydrogen conversion plants,
pumped storage, or other such systems) and may add to the number of wind
generators needed. The cost of all this runs into the trillions of
dollars--about 10 trillion if you build this system over 100 years--and in
the end you still need to provide the other 80% of the needed energy. The
numbers for solar are similar and things like biomass require so much land
as to be unreasonable. In the end--once we either decide to stop using
fossil fuels or run out--we had better have something like fusion working or
we may have to go to exotic things like space-based solar collection
satellites which will run to really big bucks.

Are we really that power hungry or is energy the 'blood' of technological
societies? While there is no doubt that we do waste resources, if one does
the numbers, the 'fat' is not as much as one might assume. It is just wrong
to compare the per capita energy use of say the US and Japan and say that
because Japan is at 40% of the US that the US could get that much more
efficient. The size of a country and the associated transportation costs is
a big factor in energy usage. A country with 330 people per square
kilometer is going to have an easier time being energy efficient than one
with 30 people per square kilometer. One must also account for how energy
use is accounted when a country imports much of its raw materials and goods
versus one that mines, manufactures, and ships its own. Switzerland is a
prime example of this where the numbers make it look super energy efficient
while in fact the Swiss live off the energy use of Germany, Italy, France,
etc. So in the end something on the order of a 25% reduction in energy use
without a major effect on the living standard is possible for a country like
the US, a 50-60% reduction is probably never going to happen.

Rick