Re: Order of E&M topics (was B and electric charge)

I like Robert Cohen's discussion of the sequence for introducing EM
concepts. I must protest however that I neither invented nor advocate doing
circuits first - although it may have its place. The CASTLE curriculum by
Melvin Steinberg, now being distributed by PASCO, has been around since at
least 1990.

The electrical force - and electrostatics - can be introduced as part of
mechanics. David Hestenes of ASU Modeling Method fame, in one of his
lectures. presented the vision of distinguishing and characterizing the
various kinds and manifestations of force as a part - the final part - of
the study of Newton's laws. The standard Modeling curriculum does not at
this point realize this vision.

Camp and Clement, in "Preconceptions in Mechanics", present a research-based
and well-worked-out introduction to various manifestations of force:
tension, compression including the "normal force", static and kinetic
friction, and finally the gravitational force. Out of this they develop an
effective treatment of Newton's third law, the failure to fully grasp which
produces the "70% barrier" in most modeling physics classes - the inability
of most modeling instructors to achieve higher than a 70% class average on
the Force Concept Inventory (FCI). (Still way beyond what traditional
instruction can achieve.)

Camp and Clement fall short however in not having a fully developed
investigation of Newton's first and second laws and in structuring their
curriculum so that it is still controlled from the front of the class. When
I used their text straight my classes got restless and their comprehension
and retention were limited. The synthesis would be to weave their
investigations and "bridging techniques" and the "modeling method"
curriculum into a seamless, model-building, peer-instruction curriculum
which includes careful investigation of the manifestations of contact force,
buoyant force, the electrical force and electrostatics (introducing a
primitive concept of current but without introducing the field, which is
conceptually much more difficult), the force between two wires, and then the
gravitational force - perhaps using a video of the Cavendish experiment with
data generated but *no interpretation provided*. (Does anyone know of such a
video? I was unable to locate one.)

Doing the electrical force first - and uncovering the inverse square law
there - should help a lot in winning the students' grasp of the inverse
square gravitational attraction. Finally then, starting with a reexamination
of gravity as it occurs in a classroom, the concept of a field can be
developed.

So we sneak a big hunk of the rest of physics into mechanics. In the process
we deflect the criticism of spending too much time on mechanics - which we
really needs to do if students are going to become Newtonian thinkers. I
expect we would smash the "70% barrier" on the FCI. And we would realize
David Hestenes' vision of a mechanics course which truly forms a foundation
for all of physics.

The next order of topics could be circuits a la CASTLE (or the Modeling Task
Force rewrite of CASTLE to put it in a peer instruction project-based
framework), then linking circuits to charges a la Sherwood and Chabay.

Thermodynamics is so essential to student understanding of energy and
chemical phenomena that it should be included here. I would urge anyone to
study the awesome article "Introductory Thermal Concept Evaluation" by Yeo
and Zadnik in the November "Physics Teacher" for some insight into the
central importance and challenge of tackling this material. Certainly if
physics is to be a preparation for chemistry as in the "physics first"
project this is a fundamental responsibility.

That would definitely fill a school year, and would be a year well spent.

Chris Horton

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Christopher A. Horton, Ph.D.
4158 RR#3 (Hwy. 204)
Amherst, NS B4H 3Y1
CANADA
ChrisAHorton2@hotmail.com
(902) 447-2109

"Many discoveries are reserved for ages still to come, when memory of us
will have been effaced. Our universe is a sorry little affair unless it has
in it something for every age to investigate ... Nature does not reveal her
mysteries once and for all."
- Seneca, "Natural Questions", first century, quoted by Carl Sagan in
"Cosmos", p.xi.