Order of E&M topics (was B and electric charge)

I am very interested in this discussion since I use an order that
is similar to what Ludwik Kowalski describes. Still, I think the
order we use depends on the audience. I teach algebra-based physics
and I wouldn't follow the same sequence if it was the calculus-based
sequence.

FWIW, some of the things I intend to do that are somewhat unconventional are
as follows:

1. I first cover electric force, without introducing the concept of a field.
2. When discussing electric potential, I also discuss binding energies
(without
E=mc2) and fusion/fission.
3. I cover AC circuits right after DC circuits, without first discussing
magnetism. I find I can describe what an inductor does without having to
explain why it does what it does.
4. I introduce magnetism via the force between two wires.
5. I introduce fields qualitatively in terms of defining a direction, which
I apply to gravitational, electric and magnetic fields.
6. I then quantify fields using g=F_g/m; E=F_e/q; B=F_m/IL; I first use this
to identify the fields associated with point objects (and wires) then I use
this to quantify the force on an object given an externally applied field.
7. I then investigate induction in order to investigate how an inductor
works.

Robert Cohen rcohen@po-box.esu.edu
570-422-3428 http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Department of Physics