Re: Why work before energy in texts

At 05:02 PM 10/14/01 -0400, Larry Cartwright wrote:
Is is correct to say that work "becomes" energy, rather than "produces"
energy or "results in" energy or some other way of describing the
sequence? I think what I'm asking is, does W-KE say work and energy are
*identical* or merely *equal*?

IMHO none of the above.

Assuming that "work" means "F dot dx" I would say:
++ Work has dimensions of energy.
++ Work is a contribution to the energy budget.

I would also say:
++ Energy is primary and fundamental. Pay attention to the
energy. Anything you really need to know about work can be figured out by
paying attention to the energy.

Analogy: Suppose you receive a $1000.00 cash bonus at the end of the
year. I would say
++ The bonus has dimensions of money.
++ The bonus makes a contribution to your monetary budget.

However:
-- I would not say the bonus "becomes" money.
-- I would not say the bonus "produces" money, since the money already
existed.
-- I would not say the bonus "results in" money. It may result in _you_
having money, but it doesn't result in "money" in any broader sense.
-- I would not say the bonus is "equal" to money, since there is lots of
other money in the world.
-- I would not say the bonus is "identical" to money, since "identical"
is an even stronger statement than "equal".

General pedagogical point: I get a lot of mileage out of the analogy:
energy <==> money
It's not a perfect analogy, since energy is much more strictly conserved
than money is -- but my students typically have a reasonable intuition
about monetary transactions as a zero-sum game. This gives me a starting
point. As the saying goes, learning proceeds from the known to the unknown.

I reiterate my objection to the Subject: line of this thread.