Re: Why work before energy in texts

Is is correct to say that work "becomes" energy, rather than "produces"
energy or "results in" energy or some other way of describing the
sequence? I think what I'm asking is, does W-KE say work and energy are
*identical* or merely *equal*?

Good point, Larry, to answer your question, consider the source of the W/E
principle (It is not a theorem, it is _derived_ from F=ma by some
route) In N#2 is force "identical" to mass x acceleration? There have
been posts here which seem to indicate that the author seems to think
so. But no, it is not. OTOH in E=mc^2 for example this _is_ an equivalence

However, I agree that the verb is important in classroom pedagogy. How
about work increases the magnitude of the energy of the system.

I am not sure why you seem to denigrate the noble quality of "equal" with
"merely".

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen