Re: work and energy

I have taught Modern Physics for many years now. For us, it falls as
the 3rd semester of the introductory series. In this field, I find that
virtually all textbooks follow the historical approach. This approach,
while pedagogically interesting, frequently leaves the students
confused and frustrated. While I agree this is partially due to the
non-intuitive nature of the material, but it is also partially due to
the fact that early 20th century physics consists of a the number
experimental results and quasi-complete theories. By reporting many of
these, what appear to be independent experiments, these textbooks
generate a great series of rarely connected concepts in the students'
minds.

Only recently has a textbook attempt to discuss Modern Physics from a
more mature approach. Nonclassiscal Physics by Harris jumps directly
into the principles of Quantum Mechanics only after introducing a
handful of experiments that justify the dual particle-wave model of
light/matter. Historical experiments such as Rutherford scattering,
Bohr model of the atom and others are left as examples which can be
understood via the quantum theory. Note, even the great blackbody
radiation, a concept so few students understand, is recognized as an
example of statistical mechanics and thus not found until after the
principles of stat mech are introduced.

Overall, I have been thrilled with this book and student reaction has
been mostly positive. Many students now consider Modern Physics the
most useful course in our major.

Scot A.C. Gould
Associate Professor of Physics
W.M. Keck Science Center