Re: E field near charged disk

At 11:29 AM 1/26/01 -0500, Eugene Mosca wrote:
The E field on the axis of a uniformly charged disk is given by

E = (2k*pi*sigma)(1-[1+(R/x)^2]^-0.5) (Tipler 4e, p694)

where R is the radius of the disk. Taking the limit as the ratio R/x
approaches infinity gives the field for an infinite uniformly charged disk.
This field is given by

E = 2k*pi*sigma

A plot of E versus x for second equation (infinite disk) is a straight line
with zero slope. However, a plot of E versus x for the first equation
(finite disk) gives a curve whose slope does not appear to approach zero for
x << R.

Right, when I differentiate the first equation I get slope = 1/R
independent of x for small x.

This is perfectly consistent with the previous result; the slope goes to
zero as R becomes large.

My question is, why not? It seems to me it should.

Well, there's some good physics in this.

1) We say that electrostatics is a "long range force" and we are seeing
that here. The test particle, even at small x, can feel the charge even
when it is a distance R away.

2) Assuming of course constant charge density, the infinite disk has a lot
more total charge than the finite disk -- infinitely more. That extra
charge contributes to the field. The only reason it doesn't make an
infinite contribution is because it suffers a mechanical disadvantage (a
factor of sin(x/R)) because it isn't pulling in the optimal direction.

Write out an estimate of the field contributed by the charge outside R:
(basic
electrostatics)
|field| goes like integral sin(x/r) 1/r^2 2 pi r dr
(from R (geometry) (measure for
to infinity) polar coordinates)

Without the sin(x/r) that would be logarithmically divergent.