Re: "acceleration due to gravity"

Leigh Palmer wrote:

My point has been missed entirely. I did not talk about corrections
at all. In my picture g is the quantity by which one multiplies the
mass to find what I call the weight. There are no corrections. g is
what is measured by a gravimeter, or it is the initial acceleration
of an object released from rest in any frame whatever. I do not
separate out "the gravitational interaction of the earth and the
object". All those parenthetical items I mentioned are *included*
in g, and there is no practical way to separate them; they are not
of any concern whatever to the student. They don't even have to be
mentioned when the concepts of weight and acceleration of a falling
object are introduced. It's simpler that way. *That* is my point.

I think I got it this time, Leigh. I wasn't reading carefully enough
the first time around. Sorry. And I agree with your analysis. Before
and this time.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell