Transformer power consumption

In a recent flyer from our local utility company, PG&E (Pacific Graft &
Extortion Company) it was mentioned that to conserve electricity one should
unplug all those little power supply transformers for devices that use this type
of external power supply. It was stated that these devices consume energy even
if the device that they power is turned off.

I realize that when you plug in one of these transformers you are placing the
primary across the AC line and even the device that they power is off there
might be some energy consumed, perhaps in the form of hysterisis heating of the
transformer core.

Does anyone have any information as to what might be the typical energy use of
these devices when their powered devices are off?

Ray Rogoway
San Jose, CA (where deregulation is defined as Statutory Rape of the consumer)

--
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
And I have no more papers in a heap