Re: feather color

At 10:11 PM 1/9/01 -0600, cliff parker wrote:

interference such as that observed in thin films such as
soap bubbles?

Yes. Interference effects are responsible for the colors of
-- feathers (mallard, hummingbird, peacock)
-- Morpho butterfly wings
-- mother of pearl (abalone, oyster)
-- those funny anti-counterfeiting features on money and product labels
-- etc.

If so then there must be some transparent material
covering the wings. Is this the case?

Yes.

What do you mean by nearly spectral?

Spectral refers to the pure colors of the spectrum. Monochromatic would be
a more technical term.

Most students have little familiarity with really pure colors. Even the
colors of the rainbow are not particularly pure, as you can see from the
curves in _The Feynman Lectures on Physics_ or from the nifty applet at
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/Rainbow/rainbow.html

The interference colors of a _single_ layer are not particularly pure,
either. However, by using multiple layers, you can make a very very sharp
filter. These colors are much more pure than any dye or pigment.

Nice try, but it is too late for me to be looking up such things.
However if you are inclined to make things easy on me I would be
interested to hear more about these interesting etymologies.

Hmmm. If it's too late to open a dictionary, perhaps it is too late to
send email to 600+ busy people.
http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.sh?WORD=Iridescent