Re: key concepts in physics ???

At 11:05 PM -0700 10/16/00, Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese, you
wrote about Re: key concepts in physics ???:

Memorism? Intro calc. based Phys included Carnot cycle and "proof"
it's the most
efficient heat engine. Chuck is teaching Hewitt phys?

The book we're using for this intro (general) HS course is by
Zitzewitz (who has apeared on these lists at times) but I *DO*
unabashedly draw on Hewitt materials. I try not to promulgate too
many egregious errors, but I do NOT think that physics must be
developed axiomatically, especially for the 'great unwashed' that
makes up most HS physics classes.

ALL of our grads take a year of physics.

About half take Cutnell & Johnson (used to use Giancoli, which I
preferred) and the other half do the Zitzewitz thing.

We don't follow the syllabus very well, in that we do momentum before
force/acceleration.

Our 'general' students can now 'solve' totally elastic collisions
(with 'easy numbers') by

1) calculating the CM velocity from the total p

2) transferring into CM ref. frame

3) setting V(seperation) = -V(approach) we'll prove it later
when we get into KE

For now we 'just' observed that it seemed to be true for
airtrack bouncy collisions.

4) transforming back into the 'Lab' frame.

Our CM 'discussion' drew heavily on Hewitt's chapter on CM, motion,
stability etc.

In another six weeks or so the Cutnell & Johnson crew will have the
opportunity to solve the same problems by using the two horrendous
page-wide equations that they 'derive' from cons. of p & KE. (I like
MY way better ;-) <= gratuitous emoticon for anybody who cares.

Unfortunately we have dropped heat as well as fluids in the 'Less is
More' movement.

I've donned my Nomex undies and will CONTINUE to preach that 'Hewitt
Physics' is an excellent HS book when used correctly.
I'll ALSO claim that ANY book can be Mis-used.
A book that is 'teacher proof' is either non-existent or useless.

Let the FLAMES begin!!!!!

britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936