Re: N1 special case of N2

Another "tangential" comment or two:

1. While coming from the notion of the nature of force held in the
Newtonian view N1 can be seen to be a special case of N2, coming from the
typical students' initial notion of the nature of force it is not true that
N1 and N2 are true let alone one be a special case of the other. Hence,
this relationship between N1 and N2 is of little pedagogical value until
students have made the conceptual leap (and it is a fairly large one) from
a person-on-the-street view of the nature of force to a more Newtonian one.
In fact an argument can be made that attempting to make a point with the
students on this issue before they have made the necessary conceptual leap
is an unnecessary distraction.

2. While we are "fleshing out" the "situation" on force we would do well
to openly acknowledge that the role of force is as a construct and that
because it is a construct we:
2a. do not actually directly measure force, (Instead we measure
effects we claim to be caused by this construct. That is, we measure
motion and deformation of objects.) and
2b. make this construct to "add up" in certain ways in situations
where we cannot measure all of the pertinent effects. (That is, we assert
the equivalent of N1. This is not to say we do not have a number of what
we consider to be powerful reasons for this assertion, but it is to say
that we do not "measure" it to be true.)

Along these general lines Max Jammer's book: Concepts of Force, recently
republished on Dover is very interesting and potentially useful to those
serious about responsibly and effectively teaching about the nature of the
concept, force.

Dewey