Re: Computers in the lab.

Each teacher has to decide whether each experiment succeeds best (promotes
learning) by computerizing data acquisition or by more manual data
acquisition. Here are some of the ways I make that decision.

(1) I use a computer when data must be recorded faster than I can record
them. In this mode, a computer is not really different than a fast chart
recorder or a storage oscilloscope. Whether I use a recorder, scope, or
computer just depends upon what seems easier for the particular experiment.
For some experiments I have tried all three, and I don't have strong
pedagogical evidence to prefer one to the other.

Example: A force transducer yields force (voltage) versus time data during a
collision. The goal is to study the impulse and relate it to the change in
momentum.

(2) I use a computer if I need to collect a very large number of data points
and/or if this occurs over a long period of time. I don't feel guilty
having students collect 10 to 50 points manually over an hour. But writing
down over 50 points, or making them stay up all night, is not very
productive. I don't have good physics examples of this except for
experiments requiring long counting periods (e.g. measuring background
radiation levels). Environmental data acquisition is a something that comes
to mind here.

(3) I tend to apply KISS in most other instances. For example, I use
photo-gate timers (non-computer based) for air track experiments because I
want students to get a feel for the data they are collecting, and I
certainly want them to calculate velocity and acceleration themselves...
that is my goal for these labs.

Additionally, I have students use computers for word processing (Word) and
for data processing (Excel) and I encourage them to use various graphing
program. (Although I keep threatening to have them graph some things by
hand so they'll understand what the software is doing for them.)

For my year-long calculus based physics class we do approximately 24
experiments over the course of the year. Students acquire data with the
computer in roughly 5 of these experiments.

On the other hand, in my modern physics class (one semester, 12 experiments)
we acquire data with the computer 8 or 9 times.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817