Re: Computer Interfaces in the Physics Lab

Besides teaching physics at a high school magnet program, I am also a "Pasco
Technology Educator." I wander about the state of Texas (and sometimes
beyond its borders) training teachers to use their newly purchased Pasco
computer interface systems.

Pasco used to have me help with conventions, "teaching" in their "classroom"
on the floor of the NSTA exhibits area. One of my favorite tricks during my
presentation was to go through all the steps connecting a temperature
sensor, adding a graph and table display, setting a stop condition, etc.
then pointing out that essentially all we had done was make a $1500
thermometer. The point was that in this case it would be much better to walk
into the storeroom and grab a thermometer than to bother with computer
interfacing. The temperature sensor offers few advantages over a regular
thermometer. It responds as slowly as a regular thermometer, has the same
effective range, and the same level of precision. I thought it was pretty
funny that we would brag about collecting temperature data at 10 Hz when it
took nearly 30 seconds for the sensor to respond to large temeprature
changes.

On the other hand, I used to do RC decay with a voltmeter and a stopwatch.
By picking suitably high values, we could get reasonable results. The
emphasis was on the type of function that described the decay. Now, I use
computer interfacing to measure many decays and we look at the linear
relationship between the time to decay to half voltage and R or C, in
addition to the exponential nature of the decay itself.

I think the people I train are a little surprised when I tell them I do not
use computer interfacing for every experiment we do.

Scott Rippetoe
Academy of Science and Technology
27330 Oak Ridge School Road
Conroe, Texas