textbook order

Thoughts on text order, since the topic has come up:

I've heard that PSSC originally started with optics, and then went to
mechanics. They rearranged it to standard order due to market pressure,
not publisher pressure.

An acquaintance of mine teaches waves really early in the course. He finds
that in a beginning course, boys and girls are on equal footing in dealing
with waves, but not in mechanics.

I find that standard textbook order is a nuisance for the order that I
prefer. The order that makes sense to me is static forces followed by
kinematics, then dynamics (I think that's standard order for an engineering
curriculum). I teach momentum before Newton's laws, which is also a
nuisance with the way most texts are ordered.

Digby Willard

Responding to the message of Sat, 04 Dec 1999 10:13:44 -0500