Re: textbook order

When PSSC made the change to beginning with optics I decided to try it.
I was not using PSSC at the time but was using Project Physics. I found
it so much better that I retained that sequence. I have tried, twice, to
use the traditional flow and I did stick to the "standard sequence" in
AP Physics, but with both Project and Conceptual I like starting with
waves.

My rationale for such a change was (1) waves are more "qualitative" than
mechanics. Since in our school the usual sequence was Freshman Science,
Biology, Physics, Chem my students were coming from a qualitative
course. Starting with waves made the transition to quantitative easier.
(2) It appears as if it is easier to conceptualize waves. The students
are more familiar with sound and light than velocity (vs. speed) and
acceleration. (3) It gave me time to build up their math skills before
tackling mechanics.

Ray Rogoway, retired, untired

--
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep