Re: Sources of Colored Chalk

I use colored chalk all the time!

I use a flourescent ARTIST chalk that shows up VERY, VERY, well and
erases better than normal chalk! It is *VERY* dusty. It comes in a box
containing 5 sticks. Each stick is rectangular, about 1x1x4 inches. A
box costs $20 and lasts me more than a year. (I teach 5 classes a day
and use the boards repeatedly.) Ths cost is worth it b/c of the 1st two
properties I mentioned. I highly recommend this chalk. It is the first
thing I buy every year. You will not be disappointed in this chalk. Good
art supply stores may carry these flourescent chalk sticks.

"Sidewalk" chalk from toy stores is okay if you are buying pastel
colors. The darker colors use too much binder and do not erase well. The
chalk is also rather hard -after all its intended use is to draw on the
road! The amount of binder seems to vary too much from manufacturer to
manufacturer. I don't waste my money on this stuff any more. I give it
to my son for use on the driveway.

I have also used Hammett "pastel" colored chalk. It is NOT flourescent.
I buy by the gross for about $8.00 a gross. It has lasted about 10 years
and I am just about out. (Part of the reason for the longevity of this
chalk is my love for the earlier mentioned flourescent chalk.) It also
erases extremely well. Nothing like the crayola color crap. The colors
are okay. Some of the darker ones that come in the box do not erase as
well as the lighter ones. Then again, the darker ones are more difficult
to see on the board. I get this chalk from J.L. Hammett out of Lynchburg
VA. I can't find their 800 number.

For white chalk I use "Railroad Crayons." These chalk sticks are
cylinders about 1x4 inches. A gross costs about $18 and lasts 3 teachers
about 18 months. They are VERY soft and erase well. Because of their
size, they make a fat line that is very visable from a distance. They
are EXTREMELY DUSTY. Each stick has a yellow coating on the its outside
that needs to be rubbed of on the tip before using a new stick. A minor
inconvenience. I use a vaccuum to clean my black boards before each
class because of the dust it creates. (I use the floor attachment and a
1955 Electrolux brand vaccuum cleaner clean my boards between classes.)

I've only been able to find the pastels from J.L. Hammett. If I can find
a catalog I'll post the product ordering information.
-tony

Dennis Krause wrote:

The current discussion over the merits of whiteboards vs.
chalkboards reminded me that I wanted to ask the list for good sources of
colored chalk. Our current supply, which was bought many years ago, is
nearly exhausted and I have yet to find a completely satisfactory brand
which works well. For example, Crayola colored chalk comes in colors which
do not show up very well and most of the good colors are difficult to
erase. I've checked the major office superstores (e.g., Staples,
OfficeMax) and find their stock very sparse. I'd appreciate it if someone
could direct me to a good source of color chalk that works well in the
classroom. If no one makes decent colored chalk anymore, this may be a
reason to switch to whiteboards.

Thanks!

Dennis

* Dennis Krause mailto:kraused@wabash.edu *
* Department of Physics Phone: (765) 361-6181 *
* Wabash College Fax: (765) 361-6149 *
* Crawfordsville, IN 47933 *
* http://www.wabash.edu/depart/physics/krause.htm *

Tony Wayne Those that can, do.