Re: Suggestions for new astronomy class

I would recommend two resources. The Project Star activity guide and textbook
from Kendall/Hunt publishing and "The Universe at Your Fingertips"
activity/resource guide from the Astronomical Society of the Pacific
(415-337-1100). ASP also runs a teacher workshop at their summer meeting
which is excellent.

Dan Burns
Los Gatos High School

David Strasburger-fac wrote:

Next spring I will be teaching a half-year course in introductory
astronomy to high school juniors and seniors. I have been teaching high
school physics for nine years but have never taught astronomy other than
where astro topics come up in physics classes.

I am working on a proposal for some development money from my school
(natch) and looking for suggestions.

1) Summer course suggestions -- can anyone recommend a summer institute
which might be helpful to me? My background in astronomy includes one
undergraduate class and recreational reading on my part. I need to learn
(re-learn?) some basic observing techniques, among other things.

2) activity/resource suggestions -- I'd love to hear suggestions also on
other resources for teachers that people have found useful. I want
something that is probably impossible: a relatively hands-on
activity-oriented class with a minimum of nighttime work (I live over 1/2
hr from my schol) . I want to do some direct observing, but I am also
thinking about simulations, in-class spectroscopy experiments, analysis of
astronomical data available on the web....

3) text suggestions -- Any texts that people particularly like?

4) Reference books -- I am writing this note at the kind suggestion of
Donald Simanek who has already sold his pile of old astro books by the
time I reached him. If you have older texts, resource books, equipment
etc that you think might be useful for a first-time astro teacher and
you'd be willing to sell them, please let me know.

Feel free to respond directly to me if you are so inclined -- I don't want
to clutter the list.

Many thanks

David Strasburger

David_Strasburger@nobles.edu