Re: lawless physics (fwd)

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

I would add that there is a restriction on getting from one "event" to
another; something which might well "possibly matter to an individual".
A space traveler leaving earth might well be interested in what earth
events he can return to, for example.

Bob,

Of course you are right. When one departs from home at high
relative speed for any appreciable amount of time (with
"appreciable" approaching zero as the relative speed approaches
c!), one forfeits the ability to return within the life span of
loved ones. I illustrate this point in class as part of a
discussion of what life might be like if the speed of light were
60 mph. Kiss your spouse goodbye in the morning, get on the
freeway to go to work, and when you return that evening ...

By referring to "all that can possibly matter to a traveler," I
was addressing *only* the question of whether we are subject to a
"speed limit." IMO it is highly misleading, the source of much
confusion, but still common to infer that relativity imposes a
speed limit on *us.* It does no such thing. If anything, it
teaches us to discard entirely the notion of "personal velocity."
We don't "travel" to a distant galaxy; it travels to us.
Relativity imposes a limit only on the speed that we can *infer*
for the galaxy based on *our measurements* of how far *it* moves
(relative to *our* measuring rods) in a given amount of time
(relative to *our* clocks.) It imposes no limits whatsoever on
how long it might take the galaxy to get here. [NB: I hope nobody
will needlessly confuse matters by raising the question of the
need for acceleration on the part of *somebody.* I acknowledge
this fact, but it is not relevant to the point I am trying to
make.]

... The fact that
no observer can *measure* a material object to be traveling faster than
the speed of light is a statement about *measurements* of space and time,
not about "how fast something can move."

John, IMHO this is more confusing, than enlightening terminology. Is not
"how fast something moves" a measurable, involving measurements of space
andtime intervals and the creation of the concept of velocity? Your
wording seems to imply that "how fast something moves" is something in
itself, distinct from, independent of, and existing quite apart from any
space-time measurements.

I hope it is evident from my remarks above that I *certainly*
didn't mean to imply that. Sorry if I wasn't clear before. My
quotation marks were intended to imply that I find the phrase
itself highly misleading unless the words "relative to ..." are
appended or at least *very* clearly implicit.

[...]
The distance and time of travel as measured aboard a space ship are
contracted as compared to earth measurements, and the pilot can, by his
clocks, get anyWHERE in an arbitrarily small time, but he will not make
lunch served on a distant star if that EVENT is "space-like" separated
from his present existence.

Right; but this fact follows directly from the previously
acknowledged limit on what *other observers* can determine the
*pilot's* speed to be relative to them. And *that* limit can be
connected with the reassuring idea that relativity preserves
causality. As I said at the end of my first message, "one
person's "faster than light" is another person's "backward in
time."

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223