video capture boards

To: phys-l

Jim Riley wrote:
has anybody had any experience with the intel Smart Video Recorder
III (price $199)? I want to use it to capture videos shot by
students in lab and then analyze with video point (which we have) or
with Word in Motion (which we would have to purchase). Anything in
particular that I should watch out for in buying a video capture
board?

I have installed several. The first thing to do is to check that you
have a spare PCI slot in your computer and also a spare IRQ address.
Recently, I worked on a computer that had several spare slots, but no
spare IRQ addresses.

The board requires a Pentium computer with a CD-ROM drive.

Intel has a section of their WWW site (http://www.intel.com) devoted
to video capture. It would probably be best to look at this at some
early stage. There is helpful information on Troubleshooting,
Installation problems, etc.

I've installed boards in several computers, and I've come to expect
problems. I am not an expert, but I would be glad to help you, if
you want to contact me privately. The Smart Video Recorder III board
works well once it is installed and any installation bugs worked out.

Regards,

Steven Ratliff

Steven T. Ratliff
Associate Professor of Physics