From: John Mallinckrodt <ajmallinckro@CSUPomona.Edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Cc: AJMALLINCKRO@CSUPomona.Edu <AJMALLINCKRO@CSUPomona.Edu>
Date: Tuesday, March 17, 1998 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: lawless physics (fwd)

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

I would add that there is a restriction on getting from one "event" to
another; something which might well "possibly matter to an individual".
A space traveler leaving earth might well be interested in what earth
events he can return to, for example.

Bob,

Of course you are right. When one departs from home at high
relative speed for any appreciable amount of time (with
"appreciable" approaching zero as the relative speed approaches
c!), one forfeits the ability to return within the life span of
loved ones. I illustrate this point in class as part of a
discussion of what life might be like if the speed of light were
60 mph. Kiss your spouse goodbye in the morning, get on the
freeway to go to work, and when you return that evening ...