Re: textbook prices

Paul Camp says:

I was told a number of years ago that textbook prices began to rise
very rapidly around 1980 due to changes in the tax code. According to
the story, the Reagan administration began taxing publishers on
inventory rather than sales so long (and economical) press runs were
dropped in favor of short runs and just in time deliveries.

It's certainly true that publishers these days do relatively small
press runs--typically one or two thousand copies at a time for
upper-division physics texts. But I don't see how this could
significantly affect the cost: even in these small volumes, the
cost of paper, printing, and binding ("ppb" as they call it)
is typically only about $3 (with some variation, I'm sure) per
copy.

-dan