Re: textbook prices

I was told a number of years ago that textbook prices began to rise
very rapidly around 1980 due to changes in the tax code. According to
the story, the Reagan administration began taxing publishers on
inventory rather than sales so long (and economical) press runs were
dropped in favor of short runs and just in time deliveries. Assuming
that is true (and I'm no tax attorney -- and the story did come from
a publisher after all), couple it with attempts to crush the used
book market and the rise in the use of sophisticated supplements such
as CDs and web sites, which don't come for free, and probably there
is a good explanation for a steep price rise.

2. Many of you, I'm sure, have had interesting experiences in
discussing textbook prices with authors, publishers, and/or bookstores.
I'd love to hear these stories. Why are textbooks so expensive, and
why have textbook prices risen so much faster than the cost of living?
I'm especially interested in hearing the publishers' perspective on this,
perhaps from editors who subscribe to this list, as well as the perspective
of authors who have discussed price with their publishers. I promise to
remove all names of informants from what I eventually post on the web,
unless you would like to have your name acknowledged.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227