Re: Old guitar strings--actually Leigh's comments

One of the marks of an educated person is to know the limits of one's own
knowledge and understanding (and there always are limits). Worse than "not
knowing" is "knowing things that aren't so".

This is interesting in two aspects: 1) Our students teachers with a
concentration in physics are required to take 30-32 semester hours of
physics and 6 semester hours of methods/materials in science education.
How many more hours of physics do they need to know it "fully"? ; and 2) if
teachers waited to teach until they understood everything fully, would
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
anyone be teaching?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

John C. Park

I sure wouldn't be teaching. I learn every time I teach, and I learn from my
students in my interactions with them because I listen carefully to what
they have to say when I teach them. Addressing forty alternative approaches
and conceptions of any concept I teach leads me to a deeper understanding and
more thorough consideration of both physics content and how to teach it --\
I get better at what I do.

As an example, this semester I conducted a new (to me) in-seat lecture activity
(I call them seat experiments) that had students build and describe/explain
small electric motors in their lecture hall desks, and as a result I learned
what back EMF REALLY MEANS in electric motor design. I have been able to
solve problems on and state definitions for back EMF for about 15 years and
have been (too) comfortable with my understanding of the subject. I suspect
this is true of many of my departmental colleagues, including some who
are outstanding teachers. i would have never developed the grasp I now have
without teaching the topic, nor has anyone sought such an understanding with
me in the course of my many years of physics study and investigation before\
now. I literally never would have learned this without teaching it. I am
not ashamed to say I learn more physics EVERY time I teach it, because I
learn more when I think about it and I think about it differently when I
teach it.

Claiming otherwise seems pretty misguided to me; perhaps this reflects a wide
disparity between my philosophy of teaching and learning and those of others.

Dan M

PS -- I was also dismayed by the tone of the language in the earlier message;
it was not conducive to a callaboratory atmosphere on the listerv. It is too
easy to get snap emails out and treat them as private conversations. I am
guilty of having done the same, and i think a little leeway can be given
at times -- understanding does not mean condoning.

PPS -- if you want to build the motor (you should!) see
http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/SeatExpts
similar motors can run for months, but burn out a bettery in minutes if
stationary. Back EMF keeps my fingers from burning with these motors (that's
pretty real to me :^)

PPS -- charge a supercapacitor with a Genecon motor/generator. Stop cranking
the Genecon, release and watch the handle. WRITE a description of what is
happening and why, including a description of current flow, back EMF and
WHY the handle is turning in the direction it does.