Re: Gore's Ball

brian whatcott writes:
I recently attempted to answer a question about a piece of physics
demonstration equipment called Gore's Ball on a scientific equipment
list. This is apparently a metallic ball which is impelled to run on
rails
by an electric current received from the rails.

I was unable to find any reference in my standard texts or catalogs,
and so I supposed that the effect was electromagnetic. There is however
suggestion that the motivating force may have a thermal basis.
I would be happy if readers could offer any input at all.

I've never heard of Gore's ball. However there is a device which suspends
five metal balls from strings. They are allowed to collide to illustrate
conservation of momentum and energy. My stgudents always referred to
this apparatus as NEWTON'S BALLS.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we have Newton's balls rather than Gore's ball)