Gore's Ball

I recently attempted to answer a question about a piece of physics
demonstration equipment called Gore's Ball on a scientific equipment list.

This is apparently a metallic ball which is impelled to run on rails by
an electric current received from the rails.

I was unable to find any reference in my standard texts or catalogs, and
so I supposed that the effect was electromagnetic. There is however a
suggestion that the motivating force may have a thermal basis.

I would be happy if readers could offer any input at all.

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK