Re: what is understanding?

Mon, 7 Jul 1997 JACK L. URETSKY wrote:

If you cannot tell me the meaning of the phrase "state of mind", how can
I possibly answer your question?

My wife, who is a linguist and a psychologist, tells me that the term
"state of mind" is already used to describe cheerfulness, optimism,
anxiety, etc. Would it be better to replace "state of mind" with
"cognitive grasp", as she suggested? Another vague term to describe
a vague concept.

In an earlier message Jack wrote:

I did not understand your message. In particular I did not understand
the meaning of "state of mind", "novel", "validly discuss" and "expert".

What about "fear" or "happiness"? Are these terms clear to you? We can
recognize these "modes of being" in ourselves and in others (?) but we
will have a hard time defining them precisely. I would leave this task to
physiologists. Fortunately we can often benefit from using words which
are defined imprecisely, especially when there is no disagreement about
them.

As a physics teacher I am satisfied with the "definition" of understanding
presented by Gregg Swackhammer. He said:

"UNDERSTANDING is attained when a student can confront a novel
situation and validly discuss it (at length) with an expert."

I would like this thread to coninue. Too bad that many people are away now
when this important topic is discussed.
Ludwik Kowalski
P.S. Here are extracts from three recent contributions:

1) Can the process of understanding be imposed by force? Or should we,
teachers, wait for it to occur spontaneously? The term "wait" stands
for "teach without blaming ourselves for the lack of understanding"

2) If my own experience is any indication, understanding came very late
in the process. Much of what I now understand about physics I gained
after I started teaching. Perhaps understanding is more than we should
reasonably expect of students, esp. at the introductory level. A
successful teacher ... has, for many years held that students should
learn how to solve the problems first, understanding will come later.
While I don't teach based on that proposition, I often think that I
ought to. Every year, it seems to me that I end up understanding
more new things than my students ever do, and maybe that is the way
it should be.

3) We, who teach the subject and deal with the theory every day, ought
to "understand" more as time goes by. But what about those who will
never take another course. Should we write them off as unworthy of our
time? We keep telling students that "some day they may need this
knowledge" when, in fact, for the majority of them that day will never
come. Understanding is not a black or white matter; it is only shades
of gray.