Re: Programmable Calculator Policies

> >> I now have a policy of erasing students' calculator memories before
> >> tests or to do without the calculator if the students scream.  In
> >> addition, as much as possible, I try to make test questions that do not
> >> require the use of a calculator.
> >>
> >> What are some of your comments or policies concerning programmable
> >> calculators?  I would like to hear from both high school and college
> >> instructors.

I have had similar experiences.  Also, with each new calculator out
there, I have to get another manual or find someone with one in order to
learn how to clear the memory.  My solution is simple, I have bought a
class set (30) calculators.  I issue them to the students during class to
use.  I intruct them on how to use them.  I check periodically for
illegal programs.  They use my calculators or none on the tests.
Its a bit expensive to start, but I have found it worthwhile.  Once you
get started, its a matter of replacing one or two a year.--

Mariam W. Dittmann
DeKalb College
Clarkston, GA

mdittman@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu