Re: Computer life-span...

The reference to 3 year life spans refers to the capability of the
machine to run current software, not to the technical quality of the
computer. The main thing that might go wrong (barring power surges)
is a mechanical failure in the hard drive. The last time I looked
into it, the mean time between failures for modern hard drives was
estimated to be on the order of half a million hours. That means if
you run it 24 hours a day, you reach a 50% probability of failure
after about 60 years. The solid state components basically never
fail.

What you will probably find is that if it doesn't fail right out of
the box, it won't fail at all. The 3 year limit on the warranty is
mostly so that the tech support people don't have to keep updated on
antique hardware. What you will probably find is that you will be
more interested in upgrading the computer after three years rather
than worrying whether it will break down.

Gateway, in my experience, has pretty good quality control and stands
behind their product. We have several hundred Gateways here and as
far as I know none of them have required repairs (some up to 4 years
old). My computer at home is a 1991 vintage Gateway and I have had
only one problem (or at least it was until a motherboard swap last
summer). The original monitor was damaged in shipment so Gateway
FedExed a new one and I was up and running the next morning. Most of
the big companies will give you similar service (I've heard good
things about Dell too) and 3 years is a pretty standard warranty
period. They are only disposable in the sense that after 3 years or
so Intel and Microsoft have managed to produce products that are
either incompatible or won't fit on the old hard drive.

The last statement really bothers me. As money is tight
(teacher's pay) and considering the current computer I have is about 10
years old and still working, although the new software is not compatible
with the system. What I'm wondering is if Gateway computers (or some
other other computer brands) are more or less "disposable" computers?
After around three years, will the computer be no longer functional?
Will it become like my car, pieces and parts falling apart and needing
replaced to keep it running?

Thanks,
Dwight
dsouder@juno.com

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227