magnetic pans

I was on a cruise last week and went to a cooking demo. The chef said that
they were using this revolutionary new method of cooking (from Germany).
He had a surface and a pan. He claimed that it worked by "magnetic
induction". You see, you could put your hand on the surface and it was not
hot, but the special pan (which he claimed was "magnetic") when placed on
the surface heated up. I wanted to know how it worked, but only being a
chef, all he could tell me was "its induction". That was not enough for
me. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone really know how it works?

Cindy