re: fire-eating

JBRAUNSDORF@delphi.com wrote:

While there I watched two people do fire-eating as part of a dance and
magic show.

I was able to attend an extremely interesting presentation by a visiting
chemistry professor at the Air Force Academy some years ago. The
professor was also a professional "fire eater". He showed us many of
the techniques used to ensure that the person performing the "magic" was
not injured, a lot of it having to do with being careful to watch the
flow of the flames (i.e. they never rub the burning wand BELOW their
arm, always above it). He also discussed fluids which they use to coat
their mouth (and, if I remember right, other parts of their bodies) for
protection.

The main point of the discussion was that the tricks were very hazardous
and took skilled and trained people to do them safely -- he had been
"burned" before and was hesitant to do some tricks without being
practiced.

Like many of these kinds of presentations, even though the events can be
understood and explained, I continue to be amazed, enthused, and
entertained when skillful practioners ply their trade. Sometimes it's
nice to just sit back and enjoy the magic.

Cheers,

Rick

--
Richard E. Swanson, Ph.D. (910) 695-3715
Professor of Physics FAX: (910) 695-1823