Re: Tic-Tac calorie lab...

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Delissa Souder wrote:

Greetings everyone. I've been preparing for a future calorie lab
and thought I would try something new. I thought it would be kind of fun
to have the students make the distinction between calories and Calories
(kcal) by using tic-tac (breath mints).... I
tried different types of tic-tacs and other breath mints, but I could not
get them to burn.

The calorie content of food is technically in Cal = kcal units. Plus the
value is that gotten from the chemical degradation of the food through
enzyme action, I believe. Some of the biochemical routes to digesting
food are less than 50% efficient, and I am assuming that the nutritional
data takes this into account, but I cannot find a citation for this to be
the fact.

Richard Bowman
Dr. Richard L. Bowman, Chair
Dept. of Physics e-mail: rbowman@bridgewater.edu