Re: Rocket Acceleration...

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 22:56:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: Delissa Souder <dsouder@ashland.edu>

Greetings! I have a couple of questions dealing with rockets.
At what rate does a rocket (Shuttle) accelerate? Has anyone heard of a
JATO(sp?) rocket? What is the acceleration of a JATO rocket?

JATO = jet assisted take off; e.g., the B-36
RATO = rocket assisted take off; e.g., the B-47

About a year ago, I heard on the news of a man who "received" the
"Darwin's Award". The award is given to those who do things that is
perceived as being "dumb". Apparently a man got ahold of a JATO rocket
and attached it to his car....

Sorry, but it's another modern myth (or "urban legend"). I have a copy
of the item as posted on the Internet somewhere last year. If there's
enough interest, I can post it here.

Phil Parker pparker@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu

I agree with Phil. The first time I remember hearing about these sorts of
rocket engines was from a joke which was apparently given to astronauts for
public speaking tours and was on the topic of relative motion. I heard it
in a talk given by Scott Carpenter. Briefly, it goes like this:

A guy was not satisfied with the performance of his sports car. Someone
told him about a "thrust jet" (JATO engine?). These thrust jets do not
really function below a certain speed (let's say 70 mph) so you have to get
them up to that speed before they contribute significant thrust. So the
guy mounts one of these things on the back of his car. I can just see this
mounted on some sort of rack on the back of a little MG or 'bug eye'
Sprite. He goes out to his favorite stretch of deserted dual highway to
test out the rig. He is concentrating on his 'instruments' and building up
speed and watching the road ahead for potential problems when he passes a
highway billboard behind which is a motocycle cop waiting to trap speeders.
The cop pulls out on the road behind our friend and is just about to catch
up with him when our friend notices the speed is finally at 70mph and he
hits the ignition switch and the thrust engine roars into action. Our
buddy has the ride of his life and he is finally satisfied with the
acceleration of his sports car. At the next convenient spot he crosses the
median and comes back toward town. As he does he notices that something
has apparently happened. In the median he sees a mangled motorcycle and a
trail of random mangled parts heading back up the road he has just come
down. Near the far end of the trail is a dazed and banged up cop. His
helmet shattered, uniform ripped here and there, wandering aimlessly around
in the median. Our friend stops to lend assistance and helps the cop to
the side of the road and says, "Gee, what happened? I just came through
here and didn't see any of this." To which the cop replies, "Uh, I don't
know. I was just about to catch up with a speeder when my motorcycle
stopped and I got off to see what what had happened to it."

;^) (I don't require my students to laugh when I tell it, with
embellishments, in class.)

With jokes like this having been around since the development of such
devices is the Darwin award story any surprise?

Dewey

Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr. Phone: (208)385-3105
Professor of Physics Dept: (208)385-3775
Department of Physics/SN318 Fax: (208)385-4330
Boise State University dykstrad@varney.idbsu.edu
1910 University Drive Boise Highlanders
Boise, ID 83725-1570 novice piper