Re: .Bernoulli and curve balls.

James McLean says:

(snip)

Do I read this correctly to say that the baseball curves in the direction
opposite to it's spin?

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu

There have been several comments about balls curving opposite or in the same
"direction as its spin". My question is, what is meant by direction of
spin? Obviously not the standard mathematical definition given by a right
hand rule.

Some of the confusion in the discussion may be the result of different
responders having different definitions of that direction. Part of the
problems we have with our students is that we have certain definitions or
meanings in mind for a particular quantity and they have a different one.
Jim Riley, Department of Physics
Drury College
Springfield, MO 65802
e-mail: jriley@lib.drury.edu