Re: Comet Hyakutake? YES!!!!

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996 msantos@etse.urv.es wrote (in response to my report of
seeing the comet this morning):

I saw it on wednesday, had a magnitude 3, 0,5 degrees diameter and
a tail about 3 deg. It's changing very rapidly. How is it now?
Miguel Angel Santos
Spain

It appeared about as large as the Moon would appear. Through an
inexpensive pair of 7X35 binoculars it almost appeared to have two pright
centers (but maybe that was my retina problem showing up). So maybe the
dust tails (as reported on various places on the WWW) are appearing very
bright. I did not expect to see the the bright center so well defined
from the surrounding dimmer coma. My guess is that the coma close to the
nucleus is much much denser than that further out.

Richard
Dr. Richard L. Bowman
Dept. of Physics e-mail: rbowman@bridgewater.edu
Bridgewater College phone: 540-828-5441