From: Phys-l <phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org> On Behalf Of bernard cleyet
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2023 2:20 AM
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Cc: David Belanger <daveph@ucsc.edu>; support@vernier.com
Subject: [Phys-L] not political. (FTIR)

Since I was given the UCB physics course lab binder, I've demonstrated FTIR using huge wax prisms and X-band (723 klystrons and 1N21 diodes). Back in the sixties wax was affordable. Now expanded polystyrene and salt lick blocks are substitutes.

By confusion when ordering a DIY quantum experiment book I received a similar in which the plurality of pp. is making an NMR device. Since I have the high current P/S and air core coils, I’ll consider making it.

My point: A few pp. are devoted to barrier transmission using a reversed electrolytic capacitor!!!! Yup: the Al oxide layer is very thin. The I-E plot is exponential showing it’s barrier penetration. One caution: use the cap. in a box, as it may explode from using a much higher EMF than it’s designed max. reverse EMF. Exploding electrolytic caps are not pleasant.

bc wonders from where the author found the experiment.

p.s. Haven’t tried it — after will try automating W/a ramp and Vernier _______________________________________________
Forum for Physics Educators
Phys-l@mail.phys-l.org