Re: [Phys-L] Coincidence Statistics

> I wrote a quick python program to do a little Monte Carlo. It always gets

Can you post the Python code or send it to me by email?

When doing coincidence work (e.g., Geiger events) I find it convenient to work from raw timestamp data instead of counts or bins. If you timestamp all events from source/channel A and timestamp all events from source/channel B it's easy to then retroactively go through the data and evaluate it with different heuristics.

In the precise timing world there isn't literal coincidence since you can measure down to microseconds or nanoseconds and at that level all timestamps tend to be unique. So the question then is what loose definition of coincidence is to be used. If you use, say, 1 ms bins, then you can have cases where two events are 990 us apart but still be the same bin, or cases where two events are merely 20 us apart yet in different bins. Or maybe in the whole scheme of things that's too minor an issue to worry about? I don't really know. But I tend not to use fixed bins and use time difference of arrival instead.

/tvb