Re: [Phys-L] Coincidence Statistics

John,

I'm not quite following that.  Your equation doesn't include the time bin.

In my example, I had two sources at 0.1 Hz.  A coincidence rate Rc was
calculated at 0.01 Hz.
Your equation calculates a coincidence probability of 0.91%.  The agreement
is good and the difference is most interesting.

Are we assuming that the units are those of time bins?

For the probability of one or more coincident events would we need to put
that time resolution number into the equation (t)?

Pc = (1 - e^(-R1*t))(1 - e(-R2*t))

That gives us the same result when time resolution is 1 unit.  But when you
change it to 2 units, the probability of coincidence goes to 3.28%.  And
not the 2% calculated by the method given in the Canberra lab writeup.

Paul