From: Phys-l <phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org> On Behalf Of Brian Whatcott
Sent: Saturday, July 2, 2022 3:07 PM
To: Phys-L: Forum for Physics Teachers <phys-l@phys-l.org>
Subject: [Phys-L] Fictitious Mathalon.

I came upon a TV offering which served as light entertainment in the form
of
an unlikely rom-com, in which a pop star (JLo)marries a math teacher as a
stunt, on finding her intended was unfaithful. "Marry Me") The teacher ran
math club for 6th graders (or thereabouts) and was preparing for a
mathalon,
in the not-distant venue of Peioria.His daughter stumbled at the final
question
in the finals, to the effect:
A circle of perimeter 8 pi is inscribed in an ellipse which is twice as
wide as its
height. What is the ellipse's area, in square units?
I had forgotten the area formulation, but I was motivated to find it
online (of
course!)Enjoy a moment of light entertainment.....