[Phys-L] colors when electrons scatter from a gas

Browsing for insights, I found the master's thesis by  J. Hi on the effects observed and also modeled using Monte Carlo sampling, on an electron beam as used in a scanning electron microscope somewhat helpful for background.
https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3329&context=utk_gradthes

BrianW
-

The question specifically is why one sees only the 492 nm line (see https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/79441/which-cyan-colored-line-is-produced-in-the-thomson-e-m-apparatus ;<https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/79441/which-cyan-colored-line-is-produced-in-the-thomson-e-m-apparatus>) and not the full visible spectrum of helium that one sees from a helium discharge tube (done in a different introductory lab experiment)?

We suppose it has something to do with a trade-off involving gas density, state lifetimes, and the electron beam current.

-----
Carl E. Mungan, Professor of Physics  410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363
mailto:mungan@usna.edu ;   http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/