[Phys-L] colors when electrons scatter from a gas

Someone asked me what determines the colors when an electron beam scatters from gas atoms (an example would be the bluish light seen as the beam track in the introductory e/m experiment)?

The question specifically is why one sees only the 492 nm line (see https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/79441/which-cyan-colored-line-is-produced-in-the-thomson-e-m-apparatus <https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/79441/which-cyan-colored-line-is-produced-in-the-thomson-e-m-apparatus>) and not the full visible spectrum of helium that one sees from a helium discharge tube (done in a different introductory lab experiment)?

We suppose it has something to do with a trade-off involving gas density, state lifetimes, and the electron beam current.

-----
Carl E. Mungan, Professor of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363