Re: [Phys-L] Explaining Gyro Force to Motorcyclists

Bill, I’d not recommend others take your approach — that’s not a
high-survival strategy for learning to ride a m/c.

30 years ago I took a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course while a grad
student at Purdue. The course was about 2 weeks long and had hours of
classroom and live-on-cycle instruction in a large closed parking lot. The
course was cheap, and small nimble forgiving bikes were provided,
co-sponsored by MSF (and Honda I think) and m/c dealerships.
The bikes were tiny 125-250cc and very very manageable (counter steering
was very much optional).

For the course, you arrive with a good helmet, gloves, boots and rainwear.
The course includes learning to swerve and counter steer, with much more
safety info that will even make you a better regular car driver as well as
a safer m/c rider, and the course ends with the license riding test,
so many folk essentially leave with their licenses, as well as an insurance discount.

About 8 years ago, I retook the course in Ontario Canada with my adrenaline-junkie
daughter and she got her license. I had a couple of bad habits cleared up.
It’s a great experience I’d claim essential to any new rider, and a good bonding
experience with family. I regularly recommend the course to my students who ask
me about my own bike which I ride in the fall to beat campus parking issues.

Do google MSF, motorcycle safety course and grab one in your area if you
have an interest in riding. Recommend the course to your own students.
And ride safe; it’s a blast.

Dan MacIsaac, AAPT Fellow & Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
SAMC278 BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 1-716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> Physics Graduate Coordinator;
Editor: The Science Teachers Bulletin (STANYS)