Re: [Phys-L] Bayesian Inference in Half-Life measurement

Fitting multiple exponential decays for the case with unknown decay rates and unknown initial number of atoms is a notoriously tricky numerical problem because it’s easy to get good fits with very different parameter values. (Acton’s classic book “Numerical Methods that Usually Work” discusses the issue.)

A Bayesian approach can help in this case if you happen to have additional information on top of the counts. If you do, you can build this information into the prior and maybe rule out lots of the posterior parameter space.

My Matlab example was for the case of a single exponential decay. If the experimental data includes two decaying isotopes, my code can be extended to produce the posterior probability for 4 parameters. The numerical integrations over a 4d mesh of points will get quite a bit more costly in terms of computer time, but it should still take less than a few minutes on a modern laptop. I’m pretty sure though that the posterior probability will be quite broad and produce large error bars for the estimated decay constants unless extra info is built into the posterior. But that’s not be a problem with the estimation method. It’s a feature of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone