Re: [Phys-L] Impossible vehicles.

I agree with David's careful description of a boat in a swift current on a calm day.  It can tack down wind, and in favorable circumstances up current.   If it tack upwind it can exceed the downstream velocity similarly.     This is the analogous case where any sailing dinghy can sail faster than the wind by tacking. However, if we attempt to sail directly downwind we do not exceed the wind nor the river stream velocity. for this we would need to take advantage of the energy difference between wind and shore speed with a wheel or some such - though mud would not be advised! A similar argument applies to sailing directly upwind on a calm day - as I think you in turn, will agree?  <g>