Re: [Phys-L] Moving faster than the wind

 John Sohl says Greenbird can sail upwind at faster than windspeed. It is certainly true that Bernard Cleyet, Greenbird and almost any sailing dinghy can go fasterthan the actual windspeed. What NONE of them can do is sail faster than the windspeed DIRECTLY DOWN WIND!  <g>If you need to do that you need to extract wind energy and apply it to wheels or water propeller!Just as, in David's case one would need to extract river stream energy compared to a stationary feature in windless conditions.
Close hauled, one comes closer and closer to the apparent wind angle, so low drag and high efficiency are vital to sailing just 3 degrees off the apparent wind as Greenbird has done at about 4X actual windspeed, so  perhaps 12 degrees off the actual wind direction.